Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Accessing an old IDE HD with a USB Adapter

This is a continuation of my last post from 2014 in which I wanted to check for pics on an old IDE HD in a USB enclosure but couldn't get it to power up. I wanted an adapter so I could take a bare IDE drive and convert it to USB. I ended up buying this:


Inside are four pieces, a power cable, a power adapter, a power cord and the IDE/USB adapter pictured on the box cover.


I connected the power cable/transformer to the power connector and the IDE adapter to the IDE pin connector on the drive.


So it looks like this:


Then plugged the power cord into the adapter and the wall outlet and then the USB at the end of the IDE adapter into a port on the PC.



Waited. Got the Windows ping announcing it had noticed a new USB device installed and then went to My Computer and found it as Drive I:


Notice it is seen as a "DiskGo", the original name of the unit. Clicked on OK and saw the directory of files.




Started drilling down into the folders looking for pics. Success!

No comments:

Post a Comment